Friday, April 26, 2002

Books and other reading materials I'm trying to get through:

1) The Sandman -- by Neil Gaiman.
I'm finally getting around to reading this comic that so many people have told me to read. The local library has the entire series. I'm almost half-way through the first volume, Preludes & Nocturnes. I'll probably be reading these for a while.
Recommended: ***

2) Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring -- by J. R. R. Tolkien. No, I've never read the books until I saw the movie (I might know my Star Wars trivia, but I'm not THAT much of a geek *giggle*). So, I started with the Hobbit, whick took about 4 days to read, and now I'm on this since early February. It's a hard read, but I will go on this journey. The link actually takes you to info on "A Tolkien Bestiary," by David Day. Thanks Mom and Dad. Right now, I think I rather the bestiary over the actual books. Every creature ever briefly mentioned in Tolkien's books are described in enormous detail. Makes a great coffee table book.
Recommended: ***** (that's my high mark)

3) Entertainment Weekly -- Yes, the magazine. And the latest issue will be in my mailbox tomorrow. And will be read cover to cover before Midnight. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure I'll skip a page or two. I kind of have a ritual when the ol' EW comes in. Let's just say most of the magazine gets read in the bathroom and leave it at that. They can take my Rolling Stone. They can even take the Playboys. But I'll be damned if they take my Entertainment Weekly, goddammit!
Recommended: **** if you are an entertainment geek (like me), * if you're not.


No comments: