Thursday, August 08, 2002

Journal time...

Lately, I've been feeling really burnt out at work. It's not that I don't like what I do. I highly enjoy my job. But I don't think I can work in TV promotions for much longer. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to deal with the crap that is local news. A lot of my stress and burnt-out feelings stem from having to promote a local newscast. Not that the newscast I promote is crap. It's one of the few newscasts I could watch as a viewer. But, I don't think TV promotions is my final calling, as it were.

What I'd really like to do just strictly edit stuff. You know, take video or film that other people shot and piece it all together. And I'd like to branch out into editing things that are over :30 seconds in length. For the past 6 years, I've done nothing but produce either commercials or promos.

If you have time and quicktime, you can view someof my latest work here, here and here. At least, you should be able to; some folks have told me they had problems...

I've learned alot and refined my editing skills. From my super-quick turnaround to how great the final product looks to how easy I am to work with, I've earned clients' respect and business because my work impressed them. My strengths lie in editing; that's not being cocky, that's just knowing. And what's even better is that I love to edit stuff. I don't care what it is.

So, now I'm thinking maybe it's time to get out of TV. Or at least TV promotions. It's time to move on and start a new phase of my career. I want to get into movies. I want to get a job with a post-production company. I want to focus entirely on editing. Whether that's movies, or a tv show, or, heck even the occassional commercial. I don't care. Editing.

In about 2 years, I will be completely vested in the company I work for. Basically that means I get a ton of good stock. Probably enough for a decent down payment on a house. But I don't know how all that works. My main concern is that in those two years, I need to get 'in' with a post house or become some edit assistant. I don't mind giving up my Fridays and Saturdays volunteer with movie folk to learn the trade and make some contacts. Problem is I can't find jack shit in this area to give even a hint as to where to start looking to volunteer. Anyone know where I can look in Houston???

No comments: