Wednesday, January 01, 2003

There's still 4 days of my vacation/work break/holiday left. It's been a while since I posted and it will probably be a few days more before I get back to regular posting, if I ever was regular... I don't want to bore you with my vacaton. And "bore" is a good word to use because I have felt bored alot, but that relaxation is a good thing right now. Oh, what the heck, I'll give a little recap while I listen to Ryan Adam's latest album. I can't stop listening to it.

I missed out on most of the horrible rain and weather as I left Houston headed home. Of course, that's because I was in the airport terminal most of the time. Arrived at Hobby Airport at 11:30am to check in for a 1:30 one-way flight to New Orleans. The wife and kid were already in NOLA and would pick me up. I go to check in and Southwest cancelled my flight. They blamed the weather in Dallas. I heard something about tornados. But, luckily, I was the first person on the priority stand-by list. And even more luckily, I got a boarding pass for the 1pm flight out of Hobby to NOLA. A full half-hour before my original flight. Lucky lucky me!! Except that they overbooked that flight by at least 12 folks and asked for volunteers to get off so passengers who had a layover in N'Awlins could catch their connecting flight. I had sat down and had my belt buckled when they called for 5 more people to get off. At least I was well compensated for my seat. I probably have enough comp. money for 2 round trip tickets on Southwest. That's cool. I ended up on the next flight out and was with my family by 4pm.

That night we were to get together with my father-in-law. We planned the whole meeting since the wife's parents are divorced. Let's just say that once all the siblings had arrived, everything was nice. But, only until then. :) I think we were supposed to be there for 6:30 and didn't arrive until 8pm - not our fault. Still, it was a good time. My father-in-law offered me a drink (a first - he really likes me!!). That probably explains the good time I had...

On to Xmas with my family. My mother's family has a family reunion at every "big" holiday. Xmas at one aunt's, Easter at another, Thanksgiving, you get the idea. Now, when I was in high school and college even, I dreaded these. Looking back, I think it's because everyone - cousins, aunts, uncles - were either 5+ years older than me or 5+ years younger. No one in my generation to hang with, so to speak. But, now that I've grown up alot, I enjoy these a heck of a lot more. Dare I say, I even look forward to them. I'm even participating in the pot luck by bringing some chili to the New Year's Day festivities, hosted at my uncle's house.

Xmas in whole was spectacular. I really take alot of pride in joy in the gifts we give. This year, we made fleece blankets and everyone was thrilled to get them. That's what I receive at this time of year - the Joy of being appreciated. I loved seeing the smiles on people's faces as they feel all warm and cuddly in a blanket we made. I'd rather have that smile than some thoughtless token. And, Santa was good to me this year. It's is really the thought that counts with me.

Then, I got sick. I had a fever of 100.6 degrees F at one point. And, I don't think it's possible to do less than I did on my worst day of being ill. My thumb is the only thing that moved. Click - Trading Spaces - Click - MTV - Click. At least now, I'm just about over it all. Just some congestion in my lungs. Sometimes, you can hear the phelgm as I breathe, but seriously, I'm fine. The wife and kid are sick now though... my present to them... Just kidding. God, it is 2am. No wonder I'm rambling.

Back to the program... The highlight of my birthday was my mother-in-law calling me back to tell me, "You didn't tell me it was your birthday." Thanks for calling. I really needed that. Aside from the family I am with, that was the only acknowledgement that I had turned a year older. And no, honey, that doesn't mean Dude, Where's My Car? on DVD wasn't a good idea and don't like it. That just means it was a close second highlight of my birthday. Sadly, that's not sarcasm. All the fudge is the third.

And now a new year is here. What are my resolutions?

1) To be a better father. Sometimes, I don't think I'm there enough for the kid. I hope to better that.
2) To be a better husband. Women are nuts, but I can probably to more to help the wife out.
3) To start being more creative in non-work time. Less remote control and computer keyboard; more writing and playing guitar and piano.
4) And the ubiquitous - To start losing 50-70 pounds. I'm nearly naked - that's 3-5 lbs of clothes. If I cut my hair, that'll be another 5 lbs. Shave totally - 20 lbs. So I'm well on my way!!

Hopefully, this cold won't keep us from doing what we really want to do before we go home - See Jeff and Rikki's new baby boy, Dean!

Hope your year is wonderful, or at least all you need it to be. Until next time...

No comments: