Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Love's the Same

There's was a lot of talk in Indiana last year about a prayer being said before a State Congressional Session. The Speak of the House at the time, Brian Bosma (R), was adamant about saying a "Christian" prayer, while others said it was a violation of Church and State. That's the basic story. And, for the record, I do agree it's a violation of Church and State.

But, that whole controversy got me thinking about why people get offended when a Christian prays for them. Or even, why anyone gets offended when a someone prays to their god for them. I don't get it.

Personally, if someone wants to pray to their god for me, go for it. Thank you for loving me enough and respecting me enough to want your god to bless me. That's how I feel about it. And, that's the spirit in which I pray for people. You might not be a believer in my God, but my prayer for you shows how much I love you. You don't have to understand my God to understand that sentiment - I that respect and love you enough to want my God to work in your life.

Then, I wonder how would I feel if, say, a Muslim asked to pray for me. And, I have to say, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It works both ways.

In Matthew 25:40, Jesus says, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" And in Matthew 25:45, he says, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'" (Take a moment to read the Parable of the Sheep and Goats these quote come from.)

I take that to mean that it doesn't matter what "religion" you are, live your life with love, even if you don't know the love you share is the same that Christ shares... That's the simplistic version anyway.

No comments: