Thursday, August 29, 2002

Sadly, I think John Mayer is now ruined for me. Thanks to about 1000 teenagers, mostly girls, who love his lips. It was very easy to tell the Guster fans from the John Mayer crowd. The female John Mayer fans wore basically the same thing: low-rider jeans and some cute, trendy, fuck-me top. A few of the females went out of their way to show their lust for John Mayer by making shirts that said stuff like "My body is YOUR Wonderland, John!" refering to his song called "Your Body is a Wonderland." This particular shirt was worn by girls so young that I doubt they have any idea how their body is wonderland, meaning they surely have never been brought to orgasm by themselves or another. I love irony.

The Guster fans didn't dress up. Mostly tee-shrits and jeans. I was decked out in my faded jeans and grey Barenaked Circus tee (Thank you, Gail) and I would have worn sandals, but I didn't think I wanted my toes broken by the screamin' throngs in thongs. And they knew the words to all the songs (except the one's that are on the soon-to-be-released album).

Mayer fans just knew the words to "No Such Thing." You know, I wanna run through the walls of my high school/I wanna scream at the top of my lungs , etc. As a side note, I first saw John Mayer open up for Guster a little over a year ago. It was just him and his guitar and I fell in love with his music. Of course, I didn't buy the album until last week, but I already know the words to half the album.

I took the boy to see the show. We were up front for the opening band, but it was too loud for him so we moved out of the crowd. I was able to put him on my shoulders for most of Guster's set. People seemed to like him. Folks kept asking him for high-5s. And after seeing Brian (Guster's Road Journal that Brian writes) break his hands playing percussion, the kid more than ever wants a drum kit. Gotta get a bigger place first, kid...

Guster played basically the same set they played in Austin just in a different order. Though, perhaps they knew I was in the crowd last night I decided to play "All The Way Up To Heaven," 'cause it's like my favorite. How can you not like a song that is sung mostly falsetto and has the bossa nova rhythm from a small old Casio keyboard keeping the beat?

It was a school night, so I didn't want to kid out too late. We decided to stay until Mr. Lusty Lips played his hit. That's the song the kid wanted to hear, anyway. And, it was like he, too, knew we were there and need to get to bed soon. John played "No Such Thing" right off the top. It was still a little early though, so we stayed for a few more songs. The kid was in bed asleep by 10:15pm.

But, yeah, I think that John Mayer live is now ruined for me. I just can't get into him like I did that first time when thousands of screaming girls and a few boys are yelling about how much they want his body while he strokes his real love - the love he and I share for playing music.

Well, I can still dig the album at least...

No comments: