Sunday, September 29, 2002

I really have nothing to say. I haven't been much in the mood to post an entry very often. Perhaps, I'm hitting a writing slump, or prehaps I just don't want to say anything.

In high school, my 11th grade English teacher had us write in a journal everyday for the first 5 or 10 minutes of class. We'd come in and she'd have a topic on the board. I remember there were specific topics we had to write about, but occasionally she left the topic open, meaning we could write about whatever we wanted. After writing in our journals, she would call on a few people to read their entry. The journal was a part of the total grade, but like 10 or 15% of it.

Well, I wasn't having a great day at school (typical) and when I got to class, I saw that we had an open topic to write about in our journals. I really wasn't in the mood to do my journal and since it was an open topic, I wrote about how I didn't like open topic journal entries. It went something like this:

I really don't like "open topic" as a journal entry. It really gets on my nerves because then I have to think about a topic that I feel worthy of writing down in my journal and I am really not in the mood to have to think that hard right now. So, since this is an open topic journal entry, I will choose to not write about anything and let that be my journal entry for today.

I had written something in my journal and it was an open topic, so I felt I had completed the assignment. Of course, the teacher called on me to read my journal entry for that day. I read what I had written and the teacher looked at me with flames in her eyes. "Well, since you didn't want to write anything, I'll mark down the grade you deserve for that... an F," was her response. I didn't think that was fair since I actually did write something in my journal and that was all that was required to get a passing mark in the journal department. I didn't make a fuss about it. I really didn't care.

Later in the year on one of my book reports, she left me a note. It said something to the effect of, "I like the way you write, however you give too much of your personal opinion. You'd probably make a good editoral journalist." English 3 was probably my favorite class in high school...

I wonder if Mrs. Knight knew anything about 'blogs 10 years ago.

No comments: