Friday, September 06, 2002

Tropical Storm Fay (that really needs an 'E' at the end) is inching closer and closer making a landfall. Already, Galveston and other parts of coastal SE Texas are getting rain and higher than normal water.

Personally, I'm not worried about an Allison repeat. Not where I live in Houston. We were very lucky last year during that tropical storm, and I'd be surprised if we got 10 inches of rain through that whole weather event. If we get flooding where we live, it'll be because Fay just doesn't want to move and will down a ton of water on our heads.

The thing that really bothers me is most of the local news stations are bringing you "Breaking News" keeping an "Eye on the Gulf," but they aren't tossing it to the most logical person to toss it to, The Weatherguy. Instead, the stations I've seen, ABC13and KHOU Channel 11, have being going to their reporter standing in at least ankle deep water. And all the viewer gets from this is a idiot with electricity in his hand standing in water. It serves no good purpose. One reporter was standing on the far end of a jetti while high winds and higher waves where threatening to knock him into the Gulf. You know, I kinda wish this idiot would have fallen in, not that I wish him harm, but idiots deserve stupid stuff to happen to them...

Now, in fairness, they have gone to the weatherguys, but they spent so much time in the thick of things that the viewers get just a small amount of the information they need to stay safe. "Here's where the eye is. Oh, look at the pretty colors on the radar!" is about all we get. Hey, Poncho Micman, get out of the water and let the weatherguy tell me where this storm is expected to bring rain.

Personally, I think I'll just keep in touch with WB39 Chief Meteorlogist Keith Monahan. Yeah, that's a bit biased, considering I work with him, but I have seen him time and time again call the weather right. As a viewer, I trust his weather forecast. He'll cut into programming if it's really warrented, but he won't scare you with hype about a "deadly threat of thunderstorms" or whatnot.

Here's some hurricane/tropical storm info SE Texas readers should be familiar with... (scroll down a tiny bit)

Tropical Storm Fay



(that little tiny white dot in the middle is where we live)

No comments: