Sunday, August 17, 2003

Weirdness

This was a very strange call I got on my cell phone. I didn't recognize the number, but I picked it up anyway. The lady on the other end told me that she was involved in a car wreck on Saturday and the person who rear-ended her gave her my name and cell phone information as a way to contact him. From listening to her story, it sounds like she was scammed. The guy didn't have any insurance and didn't want her to call the police to report the accident. He apparently told her to have the damage appraised and he would pay for it. She kept saying it wasn't a big deal, that the wreckage was nothing more than a little crack in the bumper. She didn't have his name, unless he was claiming to be me. And he drove a truck. I drive a truck, too, but can go into more detail about what kind of truck, the color, etc. And I have insurance. Not to mention, I was filming a movie from 8am-6pm and didn't drive most of the day, much less get into a wreck.

It seemed like she was under the impression that a friend of mine was the one who wrecked her. She kept saying that she had his license plate number and could get his infomation from the police and DMV. I got the impression she was trying to say she could get his information anyway, but it would just be easier for me to give her his info. Only problem was I have no friggin' clue as to what the hell she was talking about. I can't think of any friends who drive a truck muchless have so little scrupples as to scam a lady they hit from behind.

I'm starting to worry about who has my information and how they got it to give. Am I the one being scammed her? Could I be the victim of an identity thief? She got another number from this accidental con-man. When you call it, the phone rings once and then hangs up. That's a little strange. No, that's a lot strange.

Well, I have the lady's home number in my cell phone and a google search gave me her address. She has an Indian accent. I just don't know what to make of this. Other than someone is being scammed.

No comments: