Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Dream Interpretations

Throughout the Bible, God has given messages to his people in their dreams. Mary found out about her immaculate conception through an angel appearing in her dreams. Joseph was told to take Mary and the baby Jesus to Egypt and hide from King Herod. If memory serves, God revealed his plans to all of the prophets at some point through their dreams. Dreams have played an important part throughout the history of the Bible, from the Joseph of Genesis rising to power by interpreting Pharoah's dreams to John's "Revelations" chapter.

It stands to reason that God still uses our dreams to get messages to us. Now, I'm not saying that every dream we have is a message from God. That dream about the twin stewardesses and the mile high club... Not from God. The one where all your teeth fall out for no reason... Not from God, but rather our own low self-esteem. But, I'm quite sure that God is still speaking to us in our dreams. But, are we receptive enough to pick up the message?

I had a dream the other night that I think maybe was God trying to tell me something. This was the dream, with my own interpretation to follow:

I dreamt I was at some convention, perhaps a church retreat. The predominant color was white. The dream seemed to take place in the distant future, like 10 or 15 years from now. It seemed I was late for a meeting at this convention as I was hurrying to get to my spot. When I arrived at my table, I greeted my fiancee. Yes, my fiancee (Know that I am a happily married man, but work with me here). My fiancee was someone I recognize in my life today. I got the feeling like we were at a hotel and staying in the same room, but I was running late so I met her downstairs at our table. I kissed her hello as I joined the table. The convention was coming to an end. Her parents walked up and I greeted them. They were happy to see me again. We told them we'd see them later and we all hugged good-bye. Then, my dream fiancee introduced me to her grandmother. I flirted with her grandmother saying how great it was to finally meet her. My fiancee giggled at my pathetic attempt to impress an obviously important-to-her person. After we said good-bye to her grandmother, my fiancee said she "couldn't wait to blog about this weekend." The tone of her voice was as if she slipped up because she wasn't quite ready to tell me that she started her own blog. Like we had previous conversations about blogging and she was not interested, but now she was a little bit embarrassed to admit she started a blog. I flashed my charming smile and said, "Oh, can't wait to blog." The tone of my voice was playful, like I was happy to know that our conversations had influenced her. We both had different agendas for the day. So, we kissed again and said our good-byes until later. That was my dream.

Ok, the interpretation. First of all, I do know the "fiancee" in real life. While I do feel some sort of connection between us, it is most definitely not on a "fiancee" kind of level. The strange thing about this connection is that it's just some gut feeling that God placed her in my life for some reason, yet I feel extremely uncomfortable being around her. I don't know exactly why that is. She's not shifty or shady in anyway. After doing a little bit of research, I discovered that to dream of being engaged speaks about your relationship needs. This makes a lot of sense to me because I do think there is a big enough spark of connection to make a nice, cozy fire of friendship. Friendship being a key word there. Yet, the spark has yet to ignite the friendship.

The dream takes place in the distant future, foretelling of what could be (I do not mean an engagement, but solid friendship down the road). And there is a general theme of comfort throughout. In the dream, her parents were very happy to see me again. Think about your friends. Now, think about your relationship with their parents. To be such close friends that their parents enjoy your company speaks volumes about the friendship, don't you think? Then, she introduces me to her grandmother. That's a tight friendship, no? So, in dream world, there are huge signs of a comfortable friendship.

But, what about the blogging reference? I think that represents my influence on the friendship because, as far as I know, this person doesn't have internet access at home. I mean, if you don't have internet access, how can you be into blogging? It would be incredibly difficult to blog as a hobby.

What makes me think that this is a message from God? Well, I don't think I can adequately answer that question for people who don't have a very close, personal relationship with God. You just kind of have to ... get it... that it's from God and you accept it and move on. The fact that everything was white and kind of glowy also makes me feel like this was a God-influenced dream. I've had a few extremely vivid and real-feeling dreams where everything was white. Upon waking up from them, I feel quite at peace. If you haven't experienced this feeling, I don't think I can give you a satisfactory answer.

What does it all mean then? I think that God is trying to tell me that I should stop feeling uncomfortable around her. That there's no reason to be. It's ok to let the friendship build and grow. Maybe He's telling me I need more comfortable friendships in my life and I should pursue such friendships.

Either that or I was way too into the last episode of LOST, where we found out that Dr. Jack was engaged, struggling with the relationship, then got married... It could go either way...

No comments: