Monday, April 25, 2005

Star Wars Weekend

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty good, all things considered. Got two passes to the Star Wars Celebration 3 Convention that went down in this past weekend. Thousands of geeks, nerds, dweebs and nerfherders assembled in beautiful downtown Indianapolis to celebrate all that is holy and sacred. You may call me "geek," but that's it.

So, Saturday, a co-worker and I took our families to the convention 'cause yeah we're geeks like that. With 4 passes between us, we would need 3 more for the kiddies. Unfortuneately, when we arrived, they had sold out of passes for the day. So, I told my co-worker to take them since they couldn't go on Sunday, then we'd get them later and go the next day.

Well, we were downtown and we rarely are and we were paying for parking. So, might as well hang around Circle City Mall for a spell. There were plenty of people dressed up as Star Wars character. I told my wife that I bet that she would be the hottest chick at the convention. Hot is defined as, "yeah, I'd do her." We began to see if that were true. There were some Mara Jade's, a few Twi'leks, even a Princess Leia in a golden bikini. But, truthfully, the closest we came to hot Star Wars chick action was a girl dressed up a Storm Trooper after she took her helmet off. Figures, the hot chick wanted a mask at the Gathering of The Geeks.

We did stumble across an interesting book. "Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters," by Dick Staub. It compares Christianity and it's teachings to the teaching of the Jedi and the Force. I said I was a geek.

We were downtown long enough for my co-worker to call me to find out if we were still downtown. They were getting ready to leave and thought we could use the passes for the rest of Saturday. We didn't have much time, but we were able to scope out the vendor's room. Got to figure out what we wanted and how much it would cost.

Sunday, I kind of didn't want to go. Church was calling. If we went to church, we'd have to miss the whole day of the convention. We had a wedding shower we had to be at. But, I went anyway. I'm not sure if the family knew how to nagivate downtown. I'm glad I did. The kid ended up buying a "Stone Cold" Steven Austin action figure... at a Star Wars Convention. Go figure. Later in the day, he was "givin' stunners" to the Ewoks. I bought two action figures from the Clone Wars Animated Series. One vendor wanted $25 for this (Mesa lika dis Sith Asajj Ventress). But I got it, and Mace Windu for $24. I'm sorry, but that vendor is an idiot - lots of merchadise to pack up in two hours, lower your price and make some money.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. Here's my favorite two pictures from the weekend. Admiral Ackbar walking the streets of downtown Indy and Me flashin' fingaz wit' the Fett. Wipe off that drool, you nerdz...

No comments: