Thursday, August 18, 2005

I got the gout

Well, that's my unofficial, self-diagnosis. Gout is a form of arthritis that generally hits you in the joint of your big toe. There's swelling and inflammation caused by a build up of uric arid crystals. It is also (lucky me) one of the most painful forms of arthritis. Interesting enough, it has history. Gout is known to have been around for over 2,000 years. It is called "the disease of kings" because wealthy, overweight men who overindulge in rich foods and drink are the ones who usually get the gout (If the wealthy part were as true as the overweight and overinduldge bits, I don't think I'd complain).

This has been a recurring pain for about three years now I'd say. I'll get a bout of the gout maybe two or three times a year. However, this is the first time I have to dance on my big toe during a gout attack.

There's not much you can do in terms of treating gout. Take some ibuprophen for the pain. And that just takes the edge of the pain. Sure, I could call the doctor and make an appointment. But, by the time he can see me, the attack will have stopped and you can't really diagnose and treat what ain't there no more.

In the mean time, I'll be limping. Yeah, walking is a chore. Hopefully, the "Happy Face" dance in Birdie won't be too painful. Probably, I should test it out. I think I can tolerate the pain well enough that the audience wouldn't realize that something is wrong. I don't think the "Rosie" dance is nearly as difficult. The second I get offstage though... Well, I'm not looking forward to that. Hopefully, I won't wince every time I "step-ball-chain..."

No comments: