Tuesday, March 14, 2006

While Fasting...

I’ve decided to start fasting on Tuesdays. From 8am to 5pm, the only thing I will consume is water when I’m thirsty. It seems like I’m just skipping my lunch meal, but the practice is much more than missing one meal.

During my lunch hour, I will take the time to read the Bible and journal (like I’m doing now). Today, I’m continuing to read the Book of Ecclesiastes, which I’ve found so far to be very eye opening. Take Ecclesiastes 10:18“If a man is lazy, the rafters sag; if his hands are idle, the house leaks.”

This verse doesn’t not just refer to man’s laziness. It symbolizes how we should pursue God. If we do no constantly pursue God, we become more susceptible to sin. We cannot be lazy in our pursuit of God. God wants a relationship with us but He wants US to pursue that relationship. He wants us to be constantly living in grace and in holiness. But, we cannot just BE holy and righteous. No, we have to get out our Bibles and learn God’s word. We have to make time, no, TAKE time to humbly pray. And, we actively have to change our hearts to submit to the will of God. We have to LIVE holy and righeous lives.

Later in Ecclesiastes 11:6, the Teacher (possibly the author of this book) says “Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let not your hands be idle.” The Teacher reaffirms the idea of pursuing God and not being lazing in building that relationship. He seems to be saying get your work done during the day, but don’t just sit there at night. Work just as hard on your relationship with God as you do during work hours. While the work provides a paycheck, which provides food to live on, so must you provide food to your soul. In fact, your soul is probably hungrier than your stomach and needs more nourishment, which is what fasting is all about.

Fasting is more than just abstaining from food. At its essence, it is denying yourself of some pleasure – a period of self-denial. In my case, I'm denying myself food. By fasting, we allow for time to spend in prayer, in relation with God. The hunger pains I am starting to feel are a constant reminder that I need food to sustain my life. They symbolize the soul’s need for God’s nourishment.

Ecclesiastes 12:10 says, “The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.” When it comes to blogging, I can think of no better level to aspire to. When it comes to writing about Christ and God’s truth, I relentlessly pray God will help me find the right words and that they will be interpreted as true. That’s all I hope for this blog to be.

No comments: