Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mass Communication

It’s funny how God talks and communicates with us. Or at least, the ways he speaks to us. I sat there at worship on Sunday and my pastor starts talking about how great last Sunday’s service felt. How he and most of the congregation could feel and see Jesus’ presence. You really had to be there to understand that. It felt really great and comforting.

Pastor Daron talked of how after that sermon, many of us were focused and energized on “carrying Jesus throughout our day.” But, then by Tuesday or so, life got in the way and we had to put Jesus down, like he was too heavy to carry. My ears perked up ‘cause it was like he was talking directly to me. That’s exactly how I was feeling last week, that life got in the way and I wasn’t “carrying Jesus.” That’s exactly what my last post was about. It was almost creepy to hear my pastor describing my week to a tea. But, that’s how God talks to us. I saw a sign that sums it up well: “Coincidence is God talking to you anonymously.” At least in this case, how true.

So, today, I’m back on my fasting schedule and expect to fast an extra day to make up for last week. I still haven’t gotten back on my daily prayer time. I don’t have an excuse for that really since I have been preaching you have to make time for God. Just life, but that’s not an excuse. There’s really no good reason why I can’t spend at least 20 minutes of my day talking to God. My commute is longer than that. And the great thing about prayer is you can pretty much do it anywhere.

Continuing to read Proverbs.

Proverbs 15:32 – “He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.”We talk about choosing the pain of discipline over the pain of regret and I really think it’s easier to say no to our temptations than to live with the pain of regretting our undisciplined actions. That does not mean it’s easy to say no. Far from it, but compared to the pain of regret, it’s easier to do.

No comments: