Friday, May 17, 2002

Buckle Up. It's time for what will undoubtedly become a rant on religion...

So, I'm producing a promo about a news story on a church that uses Hip-Hop to reach out to its congregation. Big Boss Man's (the departmen head) great promo copy for this story is along the lines of "Will you go to heaven if you're rapping at the Rapture?" He tells me this. I tell him that I never heard of the Rapture until my wife made me read the Left Behind Books (a great work of fiction based on the Bible's Revelations, and a little on the preachy side, too). That's because Catholic's don't believe in the Rapture. I went on to tell him that the Bible I was given by the Catholic Church didn't have anything about the Rapture in it. At that point, my supervisor walked in. She's devout. Oh, in case you don't know, I have denounced Catholicism and Christianity. (Do you smell the sit-com?)

Anyway, she asks me about some verse about the Rapture, "So, such and such verse (she has it memorized) isn't in your Bible." Not a thing about it, I replied. I further told them that the Bible the Catholics gave me was so screwed up (In MY opinion), citing a passage from the Old Testament. And I quote, "God hates Homosexuals." I'm sorry, but that's just a message of hate there. How can I take this religion seriously? She started to say something about her Bible doesn't say that exactly, but holds to that ideals. I didn't want to get into a religious discussion at that moment because I needed to get home and I probably would have regretting saying everything I felt about organized religion to my supervisor.

But, I'll tell you. And you probably won't like it, but I think Jesse Ventura just about hit the nail on the head when he said Organized Religion was for weak-minded people. So, you see, it would probably have not been a good thing for me to basically tell my supervisor I thought she was weak-minded.

Back to the "God hate homosexuals" thing. What a message of hate that is...Doesn't God want us to be happy? Why would he have a problem with a man loving another man if that makes them happy? Or woman loving another woman? This message is obviously intended to control the thoughts and actions of weak-minded individuals. To think that God would cast ye down to the pits of Hell because you were happy and in love...that's just ridiculous.

I really can't wait for my supervisor to try and save my soul. It's gonna be real fun playing devil's advocate. Sorry for the bad pun.

No comments: