Friday, April 04, 2003

The Friday Five: a.k.a. It's too early for me to think too hard...

1. How many houses/apartments have you lived in throughout your life? Let's me count the places...
age 0 - 1 1/2: An apartment I don't remember but have pictures to prove I lived there.
age 1 1/2 - 17: The childhood home.
age 17 - 18: Good grades in high school means Free Room and Board in the Dorm, kiddies. Even though it was about a 5 mile from my parent's house, it was good to be on my own, sort to speak.
age 18 - 22: Back in the childhood home. When your roomate and his girlfrield weigh over 500+ combined, walking in on them will cure you of dorm-life.
age 22 - 24: My first apartment. My salary was so small I lived in a rent subsidized complex. No, it wasn't a ghetto, in fact, it was the best apartments in town.
age 24- 26: Moved to New Orleans for love and work. We rented a little shotgun house across the street from the railroad tracks. To be precise right across the street from where they connected the cars together... at 2 in the morning. Shook the whole house, weird when you're on the toliet. No showers, just baths. No insulation. Gas-fueled "fire in the wall" heaters. In a freeze, we could wake up and see our breath. And redneck neighbors we never talked to, but on several occasions dialed 9-1- and just waited... I almost miss it...
age 26 - present: Our lovely rented townhome. I can't wait to buy a house now...

2. Which was your favorite and why? Despite all of its... problems... I think I like the little shotgun house the most. It had class. Sure, it was lower class, but class none the less...

3. Do you find moving house more exciting or stressful? Why?When it was moving out on my own, it was exciting. But I am NOT looking forward to moving again...

4. What's more important, location or price? I'm poor. Price is important, but the location can't be in an unsafe place. We like the neighborhood we're in now. The price is just right.

5. What features does your dream house have (pool, spa bath, big yard, etc.)? A sewing room for my wife with a pad-lock on the outside. Other than that, I'd like a garage so I can form a garage band. Other than those, I don't need certain rooms, but enough space.

No comments: