Monday, August 04, 2003

Rocked Me All Weekend



Lord, I'm exhausted, but that pic was worth the trip. 3 shows. 3 cities. 3 nights. I love following a tour and I love Liz Phair. So, you can imagine how much I enjoyed this weekend.

Liz Phair was the opener for Jason Mraz. Who the fuck is Jason Mraz? I still don't know really because I left after Liz's set. Some song... The Remedy... I don't know. I wasn't there for him. In fact, it really seemed like I was one of the only people at any of the shows there for Liz Phair. The audiences were filled will teenaged and colleged aged children. I say children because they made me feel old at 28. Half of the audience was just starting kindergarten when Exile in Guyville was released. It was hard to rock out to Hot White Come with 11 year olds (yes, friggin' 11) right next to me.

I'm sure I got plenty of stares from the crowd though. Mostly, they were stood still during Ms. Phair's sets. I'd look around while she played and see one or two people on the other side of the crowd rocking out like me. You could tell who was at the show to see Liz by looking at their wrist. If they had a 21-and-up-I-can-drink wristband, chances were good they were there for Liz. Though now that I think about it, some of those people were parents of kids their for Jason Mraz. The Liz fans I talked to all were "Who the fuck is Jason Mraz and why is she opening for this fucker?" I don't get the booking there. Perhaps, I should complain to her management or record company. Maybe then, she'd play at more appropriate venues.

Despite all the kiddies, all three shows were wonderful. I was about 5 people back from the stage. I think she might have seen that I was the only one in my area grooving to her songs. It looked like she got a kick out of my rocking - she'd crack a smile when she looked at me. I guess I wasn't too hard to spot in the crowd. After tonight's (Houston) set, some people my age came up to me and expressed how they enjoyed watching me enjoy the show. I'm a freak that way.

I was slightly disappointed that the setlists were virtually the same. But, when it was varied up, she play my favorites. Oh hell, who am I kidding? They're all my fucking favorites. I didn't hear Chopsticks, but she played that the first time I saw her, so that's ok.

She'll playing the Austin City Limits Music Festival in September. Yep, I'll be there.

No comments: