Monday, June 21, 2004

I was acting... Brilliant!

So, while you were out, I auditioned for and got a part in Fiddler on the Roof at a local community theatre. I'll be Lazar Wolf, weekends starting in August...

Today, we were rehearsing the Anatevka scene, where the Russian Jews are told they have to leave their homes by order of the powers that be... It's a very emotional scene complete with a teary, sad song. During the song, we're supposed to start filing out of the village, knowing there is nothing we can do about being kicked out of our homes.

After the first run through of the scene, the director had to stop everyone and tell them an example of what to do while filing out. She said, "There was one person, and I won't name names, who did it so beautifully. It was breathtaking." She was referring to me.   At least, I assume she was talking about me judging by her body language (I could be wrong.  But, it's better for the story here that she was talking about me)...

All I did during the walk was turn around and look back on the village, as if to say good-bye. Actually, I was doing some method acting then. It's a really depressing scene for me having recently left my "home" for a new, unsure of what it holds, beginning. I kind of identify with the theme there.

I noticed when we did the same scene the day before, I was completely depressed after rehearsal. Just utterly and completely mind-fucked. Guess I wasn't "out" of the scene yet. And again, after we were finished with that scene, my mood was not pleasant. Thankfully, we did other scenes and that helped snap me outta my blueness. But, I realized that's the end of the show and I'm gonna need something every night to snap me outta that funk. I don't know what that's going to be. Maybe I'll get someone in the cast to tell me a joke or something backstage after the scene. I need an out 'cause it's gonna get harder and harder to pull myself out of that...

No comments: