Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Inauguration Question

Here's a question for you... President Bush is already the President of the United States. He was re-elected for another four years. Why does he has to be re-inaugurated? Doesn't the oath still apply or is there a "for the next 4 years" clause in the oath?

Come to think of it, why did any of the re-elected presidents have to give the oath again? Here's where I'm coming from. They've already given the oath once. Isn't it a bit of a waste of taxpayer money to do it again? Especially as lavish has these events tend to be? I'm asking for a history lesson, not criticizing the administration, by the way.

When I'm elected to become president in 2026, I promise you now that I will not have some big fancy-pants party. It'll be me, the swearing-in Justice, some media and photogs, and my family. I'll raise my right hand and put my left hand on the Bible, make my oath, smile for a few pictures. Then, I'll say, "Ok, I hate to run, but I have to get to work."

I can almost understand some big event the first time. But a second time and on the taxpayers dime. Well, I just think the money could be spent a little better. Even if all the funds are from private donatations, that money could be better spent... like instead of a $40 million party, send that money to Tsunami relief or something...

Check out the 55th Presidental Inauguration website. It's chock full of information like how you can get tickets to the big event or see how much and who has donated. Quite interesting...

No comments: