Monday, April 18, 2005

How it applies

In my email signature file, I include a verse from the Bible. John 4:34 says "Jesus said, 'My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.'" Sometimes, I feel weird about having it in there. Taken alone, I fear that it comes across as slightly arrogant and I wonder what people who aren't in tune with God and Jesus think of me for using it.

In the Bible, the disciples urge Jesus to eat something. He tells them "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." His disciples are like, "What the heck are you talking 'bout, JC?" That's when Jesus tells them where his nourishment comes from.

When I first read the Gospel of John, this was one of the passages that really stuck out to me. Obviously, man cannot live without food, but that's not what the meaning is. To me, this passage speaks about our faith in God, our hope that He will help us survive life, and the love we show him by living life according to His Laws. In this one passage, we get what IT is all about.

God has plans for us all. I'm just starting to figure out what his plans for me are. My use of John 4:34 serves as a constant reminder that I (we all) have a purpose. By following Jesus' teachings and doing God's will, we find purpose in this world and, ultimately, reach salvation.

No comments: