Saturday, March 04, 2006

"Friending" Christ

(I wrote this article for The Crux's monthly newsletter.)

I don’t consider myself to be a “hip and trendy” guy. If I were eligible, I’d probably be a good candidate for Beauty and the Geek 3. And, I’m perfectly content with my “geek” status. The only time I feel ahead of the trend is when some computer or internet fad comes along. And right now, I feel pretty darn hip and trendy when I look at the body of the Crux.

For four years now, I’ve maintained a blog. I’ve also been a member of Myspace.com for about a half-year now. If you’re asking what’s a blog or what’s Myspace, then you maybe get an idea why I feel hip and trendy. If you’re asking what’s this internet he speaks of, well, it may be too late for you.

Basically, a blog is just an online journal with a collection of links. They can be targeted to specific subjects (politics is big) or all about someone’s life. Blogger and LiveJournal are two of the biggest (and free) blog authoring tools. Myspace.com allows users to network, meet people, and make friends from all over the world. It garners twice as many daily hits as Google and has eclipsed Friendster as the top social networking website. Both are great ways to get our message - God’s message of Faith, Hope and Love - out to the world.

The problem is most Cruxers I’ve talked to give me a funny look when I mention “blog” or “myspace.” I’m sure most of us have email accounts. Kendra wouldn’t bother with the Weekly Dish if we didn’t. That means most of us have internet access. So, are there any other bloggers or Myspace users at the Crux? If not, why not?

The internet can be a great, cheap easy way for Christians to spread God’s word. Back in November, Pastor Daron preached about the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20) and how we need to “go and make disciples of all nations.” Can you think of an easier way to potentially reach the whole world, or at least the estimated 730 million ‘net users worldwide?

Now, I don’t mean to sound like all it takes is a few keystrokes and *boom* the job is done. No, I realize it’s a little harder than that. But, the point I’m trying to make is we could be using the internet better than we currently are.

As a blogger, you can read through my website’s archives and see what Jesus has done for me. You can read about my life before and after finding God and see the difference He has made. And as the story continues, hopefully, I’m telling it in a way that not only keeps readers interested, but also sparks a story of their own. Now, isn’t that “witnessing?” Aren’t we supposed to be telling others how God’s love and Jesus’ sacrifice have helped us? Isn’t that what we’re called to do?

If our goal is to create a movement that affects this entire city, the entire state, and ultimately, the nation and the world, we need to start using the tools available to us now on mission. And right now, probably the best way to start is by letting the whole world witness our stories.

No comments: