Sunday, September 12, 2010

Okay

I ran across this statement/saying on the internet:



 I'm not sure I can agree with this statement.  Probably because if you ask me how I'm doing, I'm likely to respond with, "I'm okay."  To me, being okay conveys a sentiment of contentedness.  There's nothing bad or negative going on and, conversely, there's nothing super fantastic I can mention either.  I'm just ok.

For some reason when I say that I'm okay, people follow that up with, "What's the matter?" or something like.  Honestly, nothing is the matter.  Nothing is outstanding either.  I'm pretty good, thanks.

But, the above statement sees it much more pessimistically, no?  It implies things are, or at least, were, kinda screwed up.  They are maintaining despite these setbacks.

I see the point of the statement, just not sure I like the pessimistic outlook.  Lord knows I don't always rise above my faults and emotional problems.  And, I'm certainly don't think I'm letting my fears paralyze me.  At least, on most fronts.  But, I'd like to think I'm doing more than "okay."  "Okay" is like a C; it's average.  I think we need to strive for at least a B minus.

Are you doing okay?  What do you think?

No comments: