Monday, April 18, 2011

Commitment

Here's the definition of Commitment:
1. the act of committing.
2.  the state of being committed.
3.  the act of committing, pledging, or engaging oneself.
4.  a pledge or promise; obligation: We have made a commitment to pay our bills on time.
5.  engagement; involvement: They have a sincere commitment to religion.
6.  perpetration or commission, as of a crime.
7.  consignment, as to prison.
8.  confinement to a mental institution or hospital: The psychiatrist recommended commitment.
9.  an order, as by a court or judge, confining a person to a mental institution or hospital.
10.  Law - a written order of a court directing that someone be confined in prison; mittimus.
11.  Parliamentary Procedure - the act of referring or entrusting to a committee for consideration.
12.  Stock Exchange - a.  an agreement to buy or sell securities.  b.  a sale or purchase of securities.

Ok, should I be committed for thinking that when you make a commitment you should be committed to finishing out said commitment for commitments sake?

I should probably be committed for typing that sentence...

Maybe I was raised differently.  Or maybe people no longer care about honoring their commitments.  It's a big thing for me if I break a commitment.  I, or someone very close to me, has to pretty much be dead for me not to follow through on a commitment.  And, even then, I'm probably finishing it up and dropping things off on the way to the funeral...

So, what is it?  Is it me?  Do I expect too much of people?  The worst part is that I'm starting to expect disappointment when someone commits doing something now.  That's the worst part; losing faith in people...

On a completely separate note, I was informed today that I might have to go to Las Vegas on company time in late July.  And, I won't be disappointed if I don't get to go because they didn't make that commitment to me.

No comments: