Wednesday, July 07, 2004

On Indy and Politics and Nov. 2004

**This is a rarity. I'm gettin' all political on your ass.

Since moving to the Circle City, I've been trying to figure out if the people in Indianapolis lean to the right or to the left. And honestly, I can't really tell. Having come from Bush-Central (Texas), it's at least a change always feeling in the minority...

Guess what? I'm a liberal. Surprised, I know. Actually, I'm more like Jesse Ventura without the volume (or wrestling moves) - fiscally conservative, socially liberal. I've talked before how I'm more Libertarian than Democratic or certainly Republican.

Back to Indianapolis. It's hard to figure the people out, or at least who they think should be President and why. Generally, I found out by making a Bush joke or snide comment about the joke that is his presidency. If they laugh at the joke or follow up with another, I think I've found someone to share Xanadu with. And now that I think about it, most people I've said something to give me a funny look and don't laugh. Since I'm such a funny guy, we'll just assume that they're not laughing because I'm raggin' on their choice for 2004.

When I think about who I'm casting my vote for in November, I cannot justify pulling the lever for Bush/Cheney. I don't want to get a full rant on, but even though I can see signs of the economy picking up, and even though Saddam Hussein is no longer in power, I cannot in good conscience vote that ticket. I cannot be apart in re-electing that. It is my opinion that another 4 years will completely fuck this country.

Bush has already destroyed many relationships with his "Go It Alone" and "Cowboy" attitude. Not to mention, it appears to me that this war came about under false pretenses. By that I mean, the 9/11 Commission has said they found no evidence of Al-Queda and Iraq collaborating or any WMDs.

I was against the invasion of Iraq because the evidence I was presented... well, I just didn't see how some pictures of trucks and buildings in the desert meant Saddam was hiding WMD. And furthermore, I was completely against the idea of going it alone. Yes, we've had help, but I mean, I though we should have had the U.N.'s backing. So, yeah, I was against the war, but fully support the troops and their mission. I am saddened to hear of more death in abroad.

Ok, back to the election... Despite my feelings about Bush's handling of the war (and yes, he fucked that up), I have very little enthusiasm about the Democratic ticket. John Kerry and John Edwards just don't do much for me. The question I keep hearing from people is, "what do they stand for?" And honestly, I am a little bit at a loss for words. It's just hitting me that the main reason I have for voting for Kerry/Edwards is that they aren't Bush/Cheney. And, considering the choices, I would rather be indifferent about my vote than give it to someone who has already shown me they can't handle the job to my satisfaction.

So, for the first time in my blog's history, I'm using it as a political tool. Bush, in my opinion, needs to get the hell out of the White House before he can fuck this country and its image up anymore. I'm giving my support to the Kerry/Edwards ticket. And I'm even gonna ad banners and links to their website so the people who come here might click on over and see what that ticket is all about...

Suddenly, I feel a little bit dirty. But, I guess that's politics.

JohnKerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway

No comments: